Bee Hive

Bee Hive
to Bee or not to Bee

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Prodigal


a person who spends money in a recklessly extravagant way.

a person who leaves home and behaves recklessly, but later makes a repentant return.

Our scriptures tell a parable of three men living in a home and thus three perspectives on an event that happens there. One of the men seeks to take his share and leave home to live in the world as he desires. One chooses to stay at home and work for the other man who happens to be the father of both men. The one who chose to leave spends his share of the monies in a reckless and extravagant manner then chooses to go home again to work for his father again knowing that his will be an offering of service without gain. The man who chose to stay is not thrilled that his brother has returned because their father has welcomed the other man back with a feast and gifts. This man still has his inheritance, still has his place in the family and yet is unsettled by the show toward the other man. No where in the parable does it talk of the reaction of the women in the home. I would like to believe that the mother shed many tears upon hearing her son’s decision to leave home for parts unknown. The sisters whom he left must have also been bereft over his departure and so here is how I see their part in this story.

The father sees his son coming from a long way off and calls to his servants to prepare a feast. The women in the home cry for joy as well. They all are so overjoyed to have this beloved one home again that they bustle about getting his bed refreshed and ready. They set out clean clothes and prepare a bath with sweet smelling soap and a soft towel to dry himself. They seek to find the ingredients for his favorite dishes and hurry about to prepare them, all in the interest of letting this loved one know how much they have missed his presence.

I’m sure there is much about the parable that I have not understood, but by trying to liken it to myself, this was the only thing I could perceive. As women, we love those whom we nurture and never stop loving them even if they choose different paths that take them away from us. As I listened to Elder Hollands words today about how to help one who has strayed, his counsel was that most often the help comes in the form of a third party. It will not be me who receives the prompting to help this loved one, it will be someone else. I have felt this principle from the moment my prodigal left home and I know it is true. So I have begun to pray for those who will receive the promptings that will bring her home again. Elder Holland also said to keep a 3 x 5 card handy to write any promptings down on so they won’t be lost. Then when we have that free moment to act upon it we will remember what we had been prompted earlier to do. Sister Holland said that we all have the spirit of Christ in us. Even when we think we aren’t doing what we need to be doing, we still have that spirit inside us because He put it there and He knows us.

So I pray for those who will be the rescuers of my prodigal and I pray for strength to follow the promptings to help rescue someone else’s prodigal. That I may bring joy back into their lives. I know that the light of Christ burns bright in all my loved ones and will shine through the darkness for us to find our way home to He who loves us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment